Friday, March 30, 2012

The Worst of the Worst!

Sadly, in our society we think the worst of the worst about people. 
Pick any social, religious, economic, or ethic group and chances are, the picture in our minds of that group will be the worst of the worst. For example...
- All Muslims = terrorists 
- All white girls = snobby
- All blonds = stupid
- All Christians = close minded
-  All Hispanics = illegal immigrants
- All women = can't drive
Do you know the worst part about this? Those stereotypes are NOT true for the large majority of the group. As a matter of fact, it's usually a small percentage of the group that gives the entire group a bad name! We judge groups of people based on what we know from our friends, family, and media. We tend to see certin groups of people and judge them right away. It's not always a "mean thing" either, sometimes it's just natural. How do we fix that? We learn about others!  
What about the word feminist? There are so many people (men AND women) that freak out every time they hear that word. I have never seen people run and hide from a word so strongly before. When people think of feminists they think of
- man hating
- not shaving 
- bra burning
- angry
- crazy
those characteristics are just as untrue as the stereotypes mentioned above. Could there be a feminist who possesses one, some, or ALL of these qualities? Sure! However, that does not mean that to be feminist you NEED to have the qualities mentioned above. I know girls that don't want to call themselve feminsts because they think of the negative stereotype that goes with the word. Understandably so! Who would want to be associated with something negative? But we have to remember that being a feminist isn't skin deep.

According to Webster's dictionary a feminist = advocating social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men.
But what a lot of people don't understand, is that being a feminist is different for everyone.
So, how can I prove this to you? I'm going to open my heart up, and tell you why I consider myself a feminist, because for me being a feminist goes a LOT deeper then the simple definition above. 
This is why G4G and Tinamarie identify with being feminists...

  1. I believe that ALL girls are strong, and have outstanding inner strength
  2. I believe that ALL girls are powerful 
  3. I believe that ALL girls have the intelligence make good choices
  4. I believe that ALL girls are MORE than something to look at
  5. I believe that ALL girls should be in safe and healthy relationships
  6. I believe that ALL girls are beautiful
  7. I believe that ALL girls should be treated with respect
  8. I believe that ALL girls are royalty because our Father is King of Kings (Revelations 17:14)
Every girl out there will have a different idea of what it means to be a feminist
that's why feminism is so awesome!
**Maybe the next time it comes up you can say, "I'm a feminist because I believe that {insert your own definition here}." 














*G4G does not take any credit for this photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment