Friday, September 7, 2012

The Looking-glass Theory


The Looking-glass Self. 
       I was reading for one of my favorite classes when I came across a theory called the Looking-glass. It says that...
 "We paint our self-portait with brush strokes that come from...imagining how we look to another person." 
It continues on to say, 
"Individuals' self-conception result from...the judgements of significant others.

I literally stopped reading, sat down on my couch, and reflected on those statements because it just blew my mind. The theory is saying that we define ourselves by how others react to us. How crazy is that?! But how true?!? 
As I was reflecting, I asked myself, What do think of me? Not What do others think of me? Not What does my family think of me? Not What does society think of me, but What do I think of me? Maybe we all love ourselves, but we have been taught to judge ourselves by other people's expectations and judgements. 
We tend to see ourselves through societies eyes.

As women we sometimes feel like we have to achieve an impossible standard of beauty, be perfect, or act promiscuously to find a boyfriend. I believe we think those things because we are looking at ourselves through societies eyes, when should be seeing ourselves through the eyes of the people who truly love, and care about us. We should see ourselves through the eyes of God
Now, I don't know what you think about you, but I know what God thinks about you. He thinks you are the most beautiful, amazing, wonderful you there could ever be. He thinks you're super talented, and smart. When God looks at you He sees nothing but beauty, and when God looks at you He feels nothing, but the most powerful love there could ever be. He loved you so much He died for your because you were worth dying for. 
And I didn't make any of that up! It's all in the Bible! The Bible is a love letter. A love letter to you.
 Love,
G4G and Tinamarie 



Works Cited --> all quotes are taken directly from...
Griffin, Em. A First Look at Communication Theory. 8. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2012. 54-66. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment