Thursday, April 19, 2012

Filing Cabinet

The world is like a filing cabinet; we categorize people and put them into drawers.
Every drawer is labeled, and everyone has their place:
skater, goth, preppy, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, white, black, hispanic, asian, men, women, young, old, conservative, liberal, wealthy, lower class....this list could go on forever.
We see people, we might even chat with them, but before we get to know them, we put them in a drawer according to who we think they are. However, this past week I realized that we have a bigger problem;
we stereotype ourselves. 

We identify with a certain group, and then we sometimes feel like we have certain standards to uphold. For example; if we get put into the "preppy drawer", we would be expected to wear preppy cloths, listen to certain music, and act like a snob (which is a stereotype and I don't believe being "pretty" makes you a snob!). But what if you like preppy cloths, but listen to hard core metal, and are not a snob at all? Where do you fit then? What drawer do you belong too?

Sometimes we feel like we just don't fit in. It's like we don't have a drawer to belong too. Maybe you're "too Christian" to be in one drawer, and then "too feminist" to be in another, and then "too liberal" for one drawer, and "too conservative" for another drawer. Maybe you're "too goody goody" for one drawer, and "too cool" for another, and it creates a lot of inner conflict. It leaves us with the question of "Who am I?"  As I'm growing up, I'm realizing that it's okay not to know who I am, as long as I am striving for something positive. The best thing I could ever strive for, and the best thing I could ever be, is myself, and the best thing you could ever strive for, and the best thing you could ever be, is yourself. An exceptional person in my life always encourages me and consistently tells me, "Be you." I think there is a tremendous amount of truth to that. 


I was walking from class today, and I saw this one red tulip proudly standing among the others. I had to take a picture because it inspired me so much. It wasn't trying to be yellow, it wasn't trying to be white;  It had no desire to be anything it wasn't. It was growing happily and being the best it could be. All you have to do, is be the best you, you can be! 



Be You!!!!

2 comments: