Monday, July 28, 2014

Beach Bodies

Beach Bodies

First, no matter how many back-to-school commercials there are, it is still summer until the very first day of school! And what is the BEST way to spend a summer day or a whole vacation? THE BEACH!!! 

I have been in love with the beach since I was little. I was a water kid (and let’s be real now I’m a water adult!). The first and ONLY thing I wanted to do was go into the ocean and dodge and get tossed by waves. When my mom or dad told me we were going to the beach for vacation, I remember being so completely beyond excited that it was as if a wave of pure joy and exhilaration crashed over of me.

So what happened? Well, being body conscious happened. After a while, I was more concerned with how I looked than the waves. I was too busy deciding how I measured up to the girls around me then building sand castles. I was too worried about how my bathing suite looked stuck to me after being soaked in the ocean then actually experiencing the waves crashing over my head while I dove under. I was too worried about how big my stomach lookedif boys were looking at me, and is my tan even?”, that I wasn’t actually enjoying myself. It was like my insecurity was as harsh as the beating sun.

I’ve come a long way since those beach-body-conscious days. I finally said to myself, “Screw it. I’m having fun.” Once I let the fun of the beach (which includes time with family and friends) overpower my insecurity, I started to truly enjoy it again. Once I decided that nothing was going to stop me from enjoying one of God’s greatest and most beautiful creations (good job on the beach God! Props!!!) it seemed as if my insecurity was washed away. Do I have my body conscious moments even now? Yes, I’m not perfect, but I don’t let it ruin my beach time - and I don’t want such negative thoughts to ruin yours. 

This past weekend I was on vacation at, you guessed it, the beach. As I was sitting in my chair enjoying the view of the ocean I saw a little girl about 10 years old, radiating happiness. She was wearing a pink 2 piece and was running, jumping and skipping to the shore line cheerfully singing, “Comeee on dadddyyyy to theeee oceannnn!!!!!” She ran into the water and launched herself into the foamy waves...and I thought to myself, "I wonder if this is the last time she’ll come to the beach this free of insecurity?” And for a second I felt like running over to that little girl, looking her straight in the eye and telling her: 

You need to put on sunblock AND insecurity block. 
Beaches are for EVERY BODY. Not just “perfect” ones. 
Don’t ever lose the joy of playing in the waves and feeling so small compared to such a big ocean.
Remember that God made each grain of sand and knows where each wave will go;
He’s the master of the universe and He MADE YOU. 
So when you come here, be grateful for it all. 
Be thankful for all He has done for you and appreciate the time you have with family and friends in such a beautiful place.
Your body is beautiful and strong, and it will always be changing like the ocean.
But keep loving it. 
Keep putting love and good things into it.
Don’t read any of those magazines that say, “Get Bikini Abs in 2 days!” Because it’s crap. 
Wear a bathing suit that makes YOU feel UNSTOPPABLE.
And lastly, don’t ever let any insecurity stop you from having fun.

I still wonder if I should have told her.

Love,
G4G and Tinamarie 

Join us next Monday for another post! 









   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment